Sunday, January 9, 2011

Training for a cancer run

I've chosen to run in a 5k race on March 20 in Philadelphia.  This will be the first race of my life, and I'm excited.  A friend posted the race, which is going to be used to raise awareness for colon and rectal cancer.  I'm also rehabbing an injury of two years ago and I figured my return to health would be given extra motivation knowing I would need to prepare for this race.

I've been running on a fairly consistent basis and have been using my stationary bike too.  Unconcerned with speed, I've used both exercises to build stamina and endurance in my legs.  I've been able to get on my bike for about 40 minutes.  I've reached about 8 miles pretty easily.  I've experienced pain, but it goes away soon after I'm finished my workout, which has been very encouraging to me.

I invite anyone to train and join my friend Nick and I for this race in March.  Here's the race link: http://www.getyourrearingear.com/events/list/2011/philadelphia-pa/.  Although, it is a "race," I view it as something I just want to finish.  That, is an accomplishment in and of itself. 

Why wait until April and May to achieve a beach body for June and July?  It's a good way to stay in shape, work off excess holiday pounds.  Not only for your health, but it's a great way to be a part of a cause to raise awareness for this type of cancer.

I won't be blogging as much, but I'll be packing ideas in my brain to explore thoughts when things get less busy for me.  I hope you can join me in this race.  If not, that is fine.  You'll be with me in spirit.

JL

No comments:

Post a Comment