Sunday, December 19, 2010

Eagles vs. Giants december 19, 2010...a reason to never give up hope

The Philadelphia Eagles went into the New Meadowland Stadium on Sunday, December 19, 2010 with the division title on their minds.  While this was their focus, you may have thought they were playing for the better of last place in the division.  Throughout most of the game, their offense sputtered like a 1985 Ford Tempo.  Mike Vick received little protection in the pocket allowing the Giants formidable defense to disrupt passing plays and knock down balls.  Even as the 9-4 team struggled, they never gave up hope 

The Giants did the opposite on offense.  The Eagles were able to stop their run game.  However, Manning to Manningham was called several times during the game.  Their passing propelled them to a huge lead.  The Giants were up 24-3 at the end of the first half.

The forth quarter led to more woes for the Eagles.  The Giants scored on a connection from Manning to Kevin Boss bringing their gigantic lead to 31-10, in the games final round.

The Giants defense proved what they have done the entire season, they like to limit big plays and limit their opponents scoring.  Down by 21 points, the Eagles would need to mount a comeback usually reserved for their opponent's brother Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts.

Seconds trickled off the clock and time was running out.  So were the Eagles timeouts and opportunities for them to score.  A questionable fumble by Desean Jackson was not challenged by Coach Andy Reid and the Eagles hopes of a comeback seemed dashed.

Light came into the sunless field in East Rutherford, N.J.  After scoring a touchdown, the Eagles surprised the unsuspecting Giants with an onside kick in the middle of the quarter.  They recovered the kick and scored a touchdown on the ensuing drive.

Suddenly, the Eagles saw themselves down by seven, 31-24.

The Eagles defense helped the offense as this major comeback came to fruition.  They stopped the Giants on a third and eight forcing them to punt with 3:08 remaining in the NFC East title bout.

The MVP candidate Vick led the Eagles down the field using his swift legs and amazing arm.  They scored with under two minutes remaining and the game was tied 31-31.  Here they were, the team from south Philly tied after being down by 21 points.

The inspired defense from the cheese steak city came onto the field knowing they had the opportunity to put the ball back into the offense's hands.  They stopped the shocked Giants on three plays and the Eagles would receive a punt with 14 seconds left on the depleting time clock.

Rookie Giant punter lifted the pigskin on a line drive to Desean Jackson.  The rest is history..........


No comments:

Post a Comment